Technology Integration:  Faculty Spotlight

ron epps

Mr. Ron Epps

Ref­er­ence & Print Resources Librar­ian

I am a Ref­er­ence & Print Resources librar­ian at Wig­gins Memo­r­ial Library.  This means that I help stu­dents locate mate­ri­als and resources for their research, teach library classes about our resources and how to use them effec­tively, and am involved in the order­ing and pro­cure­ment of print books and jour­nals.  I use a lot of dif­fer­ent tech­nolo­gies to help keep track of all of this.

I am a devoted Google Drive user.  I use drive to store Pow­er­Point pre­sen­ta­tions for the var­i­ous classes I teach dur­ing the semes­ter; this keeps me from hav­ing to worry about los­ing a flash drive.  I’m start­ing to use Google Slides for quick pre­sen­ta­tions that don’t need any elab­o­rate ani­ma­tions, and for pre­sen­ta­tions that I want to share with oth­ers.  I use Google Forms and Google Sheets to help keep track of library sta­tis­tics.  Google Docs is a great tool for col­lab­o­rat­ing with my col­leagues, and I’ve used it in the past for in-class exer­cises where I want mem­bers of an entire class to col­lab­o­rate with each other.  I can’t imag­ine life with­out Google Cal­en­dar for sched­ul­ing shifts on the Research Assis­tance Desk and library classes.

I use Ever­note to help keep track of details of classes and meet­ings.  I can use Ever­note to keep track of meet­ing hand­outs, as well as any notes that I take dur­ing the meet­ings.  I also use Ever­note to keep track of my self-assess­ments for the var­i­ous classes that I teach so I can tweak my approach to make them bet­ter.  Ever­note is also use­ful for keep­ing track of test scores over many classes to see if there are any trends that I need to be con­cerned about. Finally, I use Ever­note to keep track of web pages that I am using for projects; I can keep the URL and save the entire page inside of Ever­note as insur­ance against the page get­ting deleted or chang­ing URLs.
Other tools that I use include Trello for keep­ing track of where items are in a process, Cap­ti­vate for mak­ing tuto­ri­als, and Microsoft Office for writ­ing and elab­o­rate pre­sen­ta­tions.  I’m always try­ing new tools to see how they will help me become more effec­tive.” –Mr. Ron Epps