C.maldonado_photo

“In my experience, Zoom breakout sessions and the Blackboard Classroom, coupled with discussion board prompts can achieve effective engagement when used on a frequent basis throughout the semester.”
– Dr. Chandra A. Maldonado

What brought you to Campbell University Online?
Teaching diverse populations is central to who I am as a professor. Campbell’s mission to support non-traditional students, especially those who serve in our military, as well as students who continue to work full-time while pursuing a degree heartened me. I also come from a working-class background and it is because of the wonderful faculty mentoring that I have encountered throughout the years that inspired me to pay it forward. With that said, my teaching and research expertise has been a combination of interdisciplinary approaches to rhetorical studies and visual culture, which I think brings new insight to how students approach a range of topics within my online communication studies courses.

What courses are you currently teaching?
Currently, I am teaching Communication Ethics (COMM 370), which has been a joy to teach. Especially with course discussions relating to topics about politics and social justice, my Communication Ethics students have learned the importance of ethical responsibility from a fluid and non-judgmental perspective. With these same topics in mind, I look forward to teaching Introduction to Communication Studies (COMM 150), Organizational Communication (COMM 390), and Converged Media Design (COMM 411) during the upcoming semester.

Explain how you use technology successfully in your course.
One thing that I love about teaching online is the ability to connect with students on a one-on-one basis through the use of technology. For example, I am a firm believer in the process of writing, which means that one-on-one writing workshops are vital to not only the successful outcome of a project but also the learning process. I utilize Zoom, Google docs, and discussion board platforms to facility workshops for peer-review and instructor review. It takes time and patience, but my students (including myself) are very pleased with the outcome of final papers.

In your own words, how is teaching online different from teaching in person?
Recreating real time engagement with students in a face-to-face setting can be challenging at times, especially when it comes to classroom participation. In my experience, Zoom breakout sessions and the Blackboard Classroom, coupled with discussion board prompts can achieve effective engagement when used on a frequent basis throughout the semester. Other than possible technological issues, I find that online instruction can achieve the same results as in a face-to-face setting.

What is one fun fact that your colleagues might not know about you?
I am a Shaman, Reiki Master Teacher, as well as a certified Hypnotherapist. The teachings that I have learned from multiple energy healing modalities have also been incorporated into the courses that I teach to assist students with finding their voices.

Who is your greatest inspiration?  Why?
“Greatest” signifies the best and I am not sure that I have just one inspiration in my life.  I have met many people in my life that have shown me significant life lessons on my journey.  As I have gone through the motions of learning those lessons, each one has given me a better understanding of who I am as a person. Because of this, every significant person that I have met on my path is my greatest inspiration.