lisarev

“I have a great passion for our service members and veterans.”
– Dr. Lisa Bryan

What brought you to Campbell University Online?
As someone who grew up on the Southeastern border of NC and SC, I had heard of Campbell University. I had never visited until I came for an interview for an adjunct position in the online Information Technology (IT) program. I had heard from many friends about the online IT program. As the wife of a veteran, I was really attracted to being able to help our veterans and service members increase their knowledge and transition to life outside of service. I have a great passion for our service members and veterans.

What courses are you currently teaching?
Currently, I teach ITS 150 which is the Fundamentals of Information Technology and ITS 235 which is Windows Operating Environment, both in the online format.

Explain how you use technology successfully in your course.
Both courses that I teach are online, so students must interact with the Learning Management System, Blackboard. Students in ITS150 are learning Java programming so they use Java JDK and NetBeans IDE. Students in ITS235 get the opportunity to download and use Linux operating system. For many students, this is the first time they have used Linux.

What is a challenge you have had to overcome since teaching online?
Teaching programming in an online environment can be challenging. I have found that what I do in the classroom also works in the online environment. Instead of creating programs on the overhead in the class, I create videos of me creating programs while explaining each step. This is technically the same thing that I do in a seated environment. The students do not get a chance to ask clarifying questions, but they can watch them over and over. Students have said the videos really help.

In your own words, how is teaching online different from teaching in person?
Teaching online creates a barrier to getting to know students. I try to get to know them but without the classroom, I cannot interact with them daily. I cannot see the expressions on their face when they do not understand something. Some students are hesitant to ask for help but you would see it on their face. I depend on students reaching out to tell me that they need additional help. Helping a student solve a problem in a programming assignment can be difficult over the phone or web conference.

What is one fun fact that your colleagues might not know about you?
My free time is spent on my 2011 Harley Softail Deluxe. I love riding my motorcycle. It is a great stress reliever. Riding a motorcycle is a great way to clear your mind.

Who is your greatest inspiration?  Why?
My greatest inspiration was my mom – Mary Hubbard Lee. Why? My mom died in December 2007, but she raised me to believe in the Lord. She taught me that the Lord should be first in my life. The Lord has blessed me so much. She also told me growing up that I could do anything I put my mind to do. I believed her. She encouraged me to get as much education as I could. She said you could never get too much education. I was the first in my family to graduate from college. I later attended graduate school because she wanted me to know all I could. She passed away before I started doctoral, but she would have been very pleased.